The hidden dangers of periodontal disease are all around us. Because the disease is caused by bacteria in our mouths, the risks can be everything from environmental factors to genetics that we cannot control. The dentists here at Express Dental Care stand by to help you treat the disease, or more importantly, to prevent the disease from ever taking hold. Some of the risk factors for gum disease include:
– Genetics: Genetics play a huge role in the development of gum disease. Genetics can make individuals up to six times more likely to have symptoms of the disease.
– Hormones: As hormones change in women and young girls, it increases the chances for gingivitis to develop, which can lead to more serious types of gum disease.
– Chewing Tobacco: Tobacco increases the risk of gum disease.
– Diabetes: Diabetes increases the risk for many infectious diseases, including gum disease.
– Medications: Many medications produce a side effect of dry mouth symptoms. The lack of saliva in a person’s mouth makes them more susceptible to gum disease.
– Smoking: Smoking is considered by many dentists as one of the most significant risk factors for gum disease. Smoking also decreases treatment success rates.
– Poor Diet: Lack of proper nutrition can increase your risk of gum disease.
Protecting yourself from gum disease may require a little help. If you wish to come in for an oral exam, please make an appointment with Dr. Matthew Hernandez by contacting our fantastic dentists at Express Dental Care at 425-672-8494. You can also stop by our office in Lynnwood, Washington. The time is now to approach the rest of your life with a smile!